COSA - CPL Overseas Conversion

Do yourself a huge favour and bookmark this page right now.

Step 1 - Contact CASA

Most peoples requirements are different, so as a first step you should contact CASA and give them all your details and what you want to do. CASA will then tell you what exams need to be sat and what flight tests or ratings need to be done.

Get and ARN from CASA.

Step 2 - Prepare & Sit Your Exams

In most cases they will require you to sit CHUF and COSA exams. CHUF is CPL Human Factors and COSA is a mix of CPL Law and CPL Meteorology.

Step 3 - Gather Your Resources

Websites - The printed VFRG is mainly for RPL and PPL level, but you will find the VFRG website incredibly useful.

Likewise you will find the Bureau Of Meteorology (BOM) Knowledge Center Website very useful. In particular the Hazardous Phenomina Tabs.

Also the "About" PDF's which are often found by clicking question marks or in the top right of each page. Also the Forecast PDF's explain how to decode the weather and these are critical to passing. is easily the best CPL practice exams in Australia. You will need to purchase CHUF and then COSA. We suggest passing CHUF before purchasing COSA, unless you purchase the COSA bundle.

Textbooks - The Bob Tait paper books are the best. You will want a CPL Met book and a CPL HUF book. We believe the Law book is unnecessary.  Make sure you get recent copies as the changes have been remarkable. Anything prior to 2018 will be useless.

If you ask in our Facebook group there will be a very high possibility someone is selling one.

The legislation in Australia is huge and undergoing a lot of change. The best place to access it all is the CASA website under Current Rules.

Some of these you can self print others you cannot. There are strict rules about printing and binding which you can read here on the CASA website. 

You will need to purchase a copy of the AIP from airservices. If it is about due for a reprint, download a free PDF copy from the airservices website. Just google it.

Check the CASA website for permitted materials for the exam you will sit. Each list has an Airsevices and a Jeppeson list. We strongly suggest the Airsevices list. Our practice exams are referenced for the Airsevices  list and 80%+ of people use that list.

Thees lists also give good clues about what to study. A closer look at CMET and CLWA is worthwhile. 

Purchase your maps from any online pilot store or Airservices (check the date and do not buy about to expire maps).

Step 4 - Watch Our Free How To Study Videos

You are in for a serious shock. To put it politely CASA are extremely tough compared to almost every jurisdiction on earth. They use ambiguous wording and focus on the most bizarre and obscure little details. So watch the videos and prepare to study very hard.

Step 5 - Start Studying & Doing Practice Exams

Notice I did not say start studying. If you watched the videos you know why. Go and use our super active study methods and actively engage the brain by using our practice exam super cycles. Don't study everything. Use the practice exams to help you identify your exact problem areas and laser focus your study efforts.

Step 6 - Book Your Exam Early

It can take up to a month sometimes to get an exam booking, especially around xmas time. So plan ahead, give yourself time and book weeks in advance on the ASPEQ website. You will need your CASA ARN to make a booking.

Our COSA and COSH exam packages are available on the Join Page via the main menu.